Thomas,

GREAT hearing from a "lurker" - and THANK YOU for the tip on Gimp - I know we
ALL appreciate the info - helps to "keep us safe online".
I normally don't chime in with a "Thanks"( Please assume all Group Members ARE
thankful).

My primary reason for this note is to inform (or remind) you of the hazards of
lead-based paint. I can assure you there is a 99.9% chance the paint on the 100
yr old house has lead in it. If a contractor "disturbs" any area larger than, I
think, 6 square feet, they have to be EPA "RRP Certified" and are required to
do quite a bit to remediate the "hazards" from the paint (lead dust in the air,
on the floor, etc.).  Believe me - this is a BIG DEAL!  Lowes just got fined
half a million dollars because they had installers who did not meet the RRP
requirements.  I do not think these EPA regulations apply to YOU doing the
renovations (yourself) - however, the underlying dangers remain.  You need to
take considerable cautionary steps to keep from "contaminating" yourself, your
home and the surrounding landscape - to include proper disposal of the
renovation debris.
I don't want to scare you - just want you and fellow Group Members to be aware
of the dangers & requirements that working on a building built before 1976(?)
bring  with it. Please "Bing" "Lead-based paint" and "renovations" for more
specifics. I think the "built before" date is 1976.