There will only be three cuts per dog tooth location, 3cuts x 4dogs =12 indexes
If there were 4 cuts this rotation would not help

Mike
OK

On 6/3/2014 5:40 AM, Tim Krause wrote:
Mike,
You will always be known to me as Lil Twisted, but I'd grant you the title of Sir Twists-A-Lot if it was up to me :-) I've been looking at your example and the first thing that comes to mind is there is no 3.75" pitch with the newer Legacy models. How do you get to that distance? I'm guessing 7" pitch gear and a .5 reduction duplex gear. I know I could get there with a custom gear and our standard duplex gear, but no one has ever inquired so I've never cut one. Right now I'm trying to figure out on the first problem why we need to rotate the stock 90º and not just keep going to 21-1/4 to get an equal pattern all the way around. I could answer my own question by doing your instructions but you must know off the top of your head.

    *From:* Okla Mike (Liltwisted) <mailto:legacym...@iglide.net>
    *To:* legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
    <mailto:legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com>
    *Sent:* Monday, June 02, 2014 4:48 PM
    *Subject:* Re: indexing accessory completed

    I like where this thread has developed.  The flexibility of
    degrees on the positioning of the stock is awesome!

    Where to start.
    First of all the crank handle indexing is only for straight
    milling so the 12 cuts down the side or top.  Set the mill on a 3"
    pitch, times 4 threads per inch and you will get 12.  So 1/12th
    turn of the stock for every full turn of the handle.

    But we are talking about on a spiral, so we will look at carriage
    indexing.  But, lets use the numbers you have below as compared to
    the pitches that you will be stuck with on the Legacy.  Then we
    will stick to 12 cuts.

    Our first problem is the travel of 3.75 divided by 12 is 5/16 in
    order to make it a full divisor of .25 (drive screw thread count)
    we will have to multiply it by 4.  to equal 1-1/4".  So on a 20
    inch stick we will allow the carriage to stop on the switch, then
    move it back left to the start position 21-1/4 and cut again for a
    total of 3 times.  Then un-chuck the stock and rotate it in the
    drive dog 90º, make 3 cuts,  rotate again etc until it is complete.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Legacy Ornamental Mills" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to legacy-ornamental-mills+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:legacy-ornamental-mills+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To post to this group, send email to legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com <mailto:legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com>. Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/legacy-ornamental-mills.