From: 'joe biunno' via Legacy Ornamental Mills
Sent: Jun 9, 2014 5:13 PM
To: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
Subject: tailstock mod completed

completed the tailstock mod...except for a coat of legacy red paint, which will have to wait as i am in the middle of a job and need the use of a live tailstock asap...first tailstock purchased on ebay was a bust as i thought it had a #2 morse taper, it had a #1 taper...ate that one and put it into the "hope to use in the future" file...as fate would have it a woodworking neighbor had done in a delta 46-700 lathe headstock pulley set up and was tossing the machine...picked up that piece for zero money and the tailstock seemed perfect for how i wanted to set it up on the legacy...the machine gods were smiling on me that day!...and the headstock spindle has a 1"-8 thread, might have ause for that soon...and again, using the second legacy tailstock cross bar piece from my donor machine took the fear out of the "what if i screw it up" situation...began by chopping up the delta tailstock piece... cut, gring, sand,etc...squared it all up...layed it down on its side and took some measurements...all seemed to line up well...then took to taking out a section of the back of the legacy crossbar...and not touching the front as i wanted to keep a good amount of the strength of the crossbar...used a double ended #2 morse taper alignment piece into the headstock and the new tailstock just to be sure all was in line on all planes...clamped the tailstock to the crossbar and began drilling and tapping four holes to attach it all together...might consider welding it all together if i feel it slips out of alignment...time will tell...welded a cross bar on the bottom, backside of the crossbar to get back the stiffness of the crossbar...might change the hand wheel to a sliding-pin type if i feel there is interference with the y carriage going over it...the tightening handle is at the bottom in the 6 o'clock position...going to be nice to have that #2 morse in the tailstock...can definitely use a live center here and there...and other pieces as well for odd ball set-ups...next mod seems to be a dc motor drive for the headstock, since i found a very nice dc motor in the "pile" of stuff from my swap meet travels...just hope it works and is not fried...comments and suggestions are always welcome...thanks...joe