Hello Joe.
You have an Old Steely unit. That's Neat ! Ive heard a lot about those over the
years but I still have not had the honor to work with one of those units yet.
As I understand it, the biggest problem with the steel rails is the play (or
bowing of the steel while under a load.) As I understand it, that is why Legacy
went to the Extruded alum. rails.
The reason why I ask this is, Could a plywood base be laminated to the rails to
stiffen it up?
In my mind, Biger is almost always better, My Dream lathe ( the Conover lathe.)
has a wooden bed, and can be made to almost any size, depending on the wood. So
I was just wondering, if adding wood to the old steely, might help make your
old machine into a better one?
I would very much like to hear your thought on this.

Tim,
Don't know about others, but I have greatly benefited from the group input. I
am trying to find time to become proficient with the Legacy (mine's a 72" steel
rail) but it seems I only think of it if I have no other solution with other
tools. I use other lathes and equipment and I am focusing more of my time on
carving architectural items by hand.
Seems it is the one item that keeps getting "pushed back" even though I know it
would be more beneficial to use it more often.
Y'all helped me through tapered reeds and beads on columns and the project
turned out great.
I promise I will try and give and seek input.
I think there are many like me watching on the side but grateful for the work
of others.
Joe