From: "'joe biunno' via Legacy Ornamental Mills"
<legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com>
To: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2015 12:26:16 PM
Subject: split nut and lead screw upgrade

the inspiration for this upgrade came from the work jon preston did on his
machine...namely, encapsulating the split nut, therefore not allowing it to
twist or spin out of the original holder legacy provided...this was done on the
"X" axis split nut(photo #1) and the "Y" axis split nut(photo #2)...basically
just some 1/8" thick scraps from the shop, cut, fit and weld...quick and
easy...and i would like to comment on a previous response regarding TIG
welding...TIG welding steel is the simplest of all welding processes...it
almost like painting with a brush...i have a welding text book that in the
first paragraph of the TIG welding section, it states that if you cannot TIG
weld, welding is not for you...LOL!...it is that simple...now, welding aluminum
is a different animal...for the few times i have tried, i failed
miserably...luckily enough, we have never needed to weld aluminum, whether it
be for a job or an in-house machine mod or jig...but TIG welding steel and
brass for some 30 years, perhaps i would be a bit better now but i am sure i
would need a lot of practice if i wanted to weld aluminum...point being, i
would encourage anyone that is into machinery, mods, jigs,etc. to buy even a
simple harbor freight TIG welder and have it in their shop...the detail welding
that is possible, even with very little experience, is incredible...nice
precision welds, no splatter to clean,easily burn through paint to do a
weld...again, i strongly recommend it

the other upgrade was to the "Y" axis leadscrew(photo #2)...first, had to raise
the position of the lead screw due to the addition of the bearings...this made
the bracket a bit "wobbly"...added a piece of flat bar on edge to the
bracket...then added a cross brace that sits on the aluminum channel so the
bracket cannot "cant" if a sufficient pressure is put on it...this sometimes
happened even before the bearings were added, usually because the screws would
come loose...then wanted to eliminate the pressed fit bronze bushings, so a
split collar was welded to the bracket(the bottom half welded) and a 3/8" X
7/8" bearing set in place...the bearing even had a retaining ring which worked
perfectly to help keep it in place and square...and encapsulated the split nut
in a similar fashion as done on the "X" axis...the "Y" axis movement is smooth
and tight, no backlash at all...minimal expense spent on the bearings and split
collars($20 +/-)...labor was about 6 hrs. total

curtis' mod of a wave pattern/follower totally blew me away...the possibilities
there seem endless...for now, not going near that, as my OCB will get the
better of me!...LOL!...have a few more things to get out of the way first...as
always, all comments are welcome...thanks...joe