On small projects I don't usually bother, but on bigger things I do sign
and put a date. On things that might matter in the future, I will write on
the bottom of some drawer what stain color/number and brand used and what
top coat was used. That would just make things easier if the whole item or
some part needs refinishing in the future.
 db