Hi Bill

Whilst I would agree there are more hobbyists than companies you have to
consider the true cost of buying a CNC. Unlike buying a manual Legacy where you
can put the wood between centres and make a work of art or a pile of sawdust
without too much of a learning curve.

I believe a major cost of CNC is the learning curve and the support software if
you’re going beyond the basic cutting. You also have to take into account a
favourite subject of this group namely “customer support” from the
manufacturer.

If you are building for the amateur market you have to supply a much higher
level than with a professional customer, and strange as it may seem Legacy are
seen as being excellent supporting their profession customers.

So Bill what figure would you put down for amateur budget $?

We have seen a lot entry level CNC machines here made in the far east and they
end up on the shelf in the workshop due to their limitations.  Typically priced
around $3,000.00 which includes 20% tax, to my way of thinking it makes an
entry level Legacy machine at $7,500.00 a much better investment with far
better capacity than the 12” by 12” entry level offerings.

There you have my two cents worth.

Cheers

Roger