You would be cutting from the top using your Y axis.  You would leave roughly
3/8" of material so the part stays between centers.  Finally, you remove the
work from the machine and cut the 3/8" stub off and a quick sand and it's done.

  From: rchrd.ell...@gmail.com
  To: Legacy Ornamental Mills
  Sent: Monday, August 01, 2016 9:04 AM
  Subject: Re: Pulley for the Woodchuck

  Tim
   I just can't see how I can use a round over bit, when cutting from the side,
if I use the straight 1/2" bit and go to deep it will part the spindle from the
length of the blank, if cutting from above that would work, however I can only
cut from the side. Leaving enough to hold the blank together
  Are we both getting a bit muddled up.????
  Cheers
  Richard