Greetings from across the pond!
​
One of the nice things about being retired is that I get time to sit and read
emails that contain the thoughts of people on a variety of subjects.
One of the subject’s that this group seems to love, from time to time, is to
just “Let’s knock Legacy” because they cannot think of anything constructive.
So put in my best and politest English the subject has become bloody boring and
monotonous.
Please change the record and instead of looking backwards all the time, try to
look forward and tell us what you can do with your machines.
Better still show us how you have improved it.
Plus I have a challenge for those who claim they could build a better manual
Legacy type machine. Please go and do just that.
What I would want to see is a machine that could be produced, not just as a one
off, but in reasonable volume, say 100 in first year, 250 in second year and
grow your market from there.  Do what Legacy did when they started up. My
challenge is comparatively easy because you have an idea to start from where as
they started from scratch.  Just the kind of task they set MBA students!
I look forward to seeing these bright new "all singing and dancing machines" at
reasonable prices and with superb after sales service.
Yes Legacy were not perfect.  However I see is that some folks don't seem to
acknowledge that Legacy have changed, and I think, for the better. The reason
people won't acknowledge this is simply because Legacy stopped making and
supporting the manual machines these people owned. I know that quite a lot of
you bought used or what we call second hand machines, so to me that negates
your claim that Legacy has let you down.
Just step back and ask yourself why they stopped
​1. Legacy's market was predominately hobbyists and what happens when a
recession comes along, as it did, the customers stopped buying.
2. That is what happened and to SURVIVE that recession Andy & Tracy Anderson
developed initially CNC upgrades for the 900 & 1200. When you have their mind
set you quickly progress to designing total CNC machines. They are good and
made in the USA not China.  ​
Remember that Legacy had employees and their incomes had to be protected. It
was tough but they got through it. With CNC machines their customer base
profile changed from hobbyist to business user. That requires a different
customer service approach.
I worked with them for a good many years. Yes I suffered some problems from
time to time but I did not go around bleating about it, I worked around it or
got it sorted, maybe that was my military training coming into play.
Could I build a better manual machine, the truthful answer is no because I do
not have the required skill set. I often felt I could see improvements and I
would discuss them with Andy. But whilst I have some relevant knowledge I know
that I do not have that which is required to design and manufacture machines,
certainly not Legacy type machines but if it is enclosures for industrial &
military use then I could and have done so. Could I sell & market Legacy type
machines yes. I could even run a business, well I have and I enjoyed it.
What seems to be lost on some folks is that running a manufacturing business
requires a broad skill set, money and people.  Yes you will have customers that
you cannot see eye to eye with but at the end of the day you get on with it and
both sides have to learn to understand the other, that can be tough.
Regards
Roger