I have been toying with an idea for several yearsnow of a modification of my
Ornamental mill. I have an interest in attempting spiral work on my turned
pieces similar to what Stuart Mortimer is famous for. In the past I attempted a
few spirals by cutting the side of the piece with limited success. How hard
would it be to mount a secondary carriage to the primary carriage via a hinge
and an arm that would work like a Cam follower. The arm would be attached to
the center of the backside of the carriage via a hinge. The arm would be a foot
or two in length and would allow a small router to float on your turned piece.
Not sure how to put a drawing on here, I hope someone understands what I am
trying to explain.

I think it would be a simple to build, however I am not a metals person.