this is not directly related to our legacy equipment, but thought I would
post this video to show how we initially overcame doing milling on long
pieces of work...this is what some refer to as a "French" spindle...the
name "French", as explained to me, was used to describe a particular, small
V-cut used in traditional French furniture... and due the curved design of
French furniture during that particular period of time, the idea of a
spindle, with a very small cutter protruding out from the spindle, could
easily cut the V detail while also following the complex curves of ant
particular work piece without the need for templates, as the work piece was
pressed against the spinning spindle...it took a bit of practice to follow
a curve both up and down, and in and out... this was only possible because
the cutter was only protruding out from the spindle about 1/8 of an
inch...there was a stationary pin at a 90 degree angle to the spindle that
was centered on the spindle... the pin was used as a reference point for
cutting distance and a pivot point to  follow the curves of a work piece...
you would stand over and beyond the spindle to see what you were doing...
of course, using this spindle was considered dangerous and was eventually
not used, more for the fact that shops would push the limitations of the
spindle by putting in far to big of a cutter knife than what the spindle
could safely handle... but for small, tiny, "kiss" cuts it is ideal, as you
only have to make one knife...and of course, the idea here is to move the
work piece, not the cutter, which is the direct opposite of the legacy,
which keeps the work piece stationary and moves the cutter...in the video
we are milling a reeded pole that will be used to hold curtains above a
window...note the indexing head that is more than 100 years old... the
sliding bed we made from wood, and have a few different sizes to handle
different lengths, the biggest being about 14 feet and the smallest about 3
feet...there is a center support, so the piece does not sag...we also have
removable extension tables on our shaper, making it about a total of 16
feet long... the negatives are that a shaper spindle does not spin as fast
as a router(and perhaps certain cuts cannot be done without a bit of
sanding work) and you need two people to do a proper cut when doing long
pieces... this is not a legacy post, but might spur some ideas to do
milling cuts in a non-legacy way...and it is my first attempt at making a
video and posting it, LOL!... joe b.