Most of the metal lathes have a 10 or 20 tpi on the cross-slide.

For the legacy, I would probably use a thread that is a multiplyer of the width
of common sized bits that you are using.  All the legacy machines I have ever
seen only use 5/8-4 tpi.  Anything else and it's been modified by some one.

Tim