From: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
[mailto:legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Lonnie Carlton
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2018 7:51 AM
To: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: Definition Question Bowel/plate

I apologize for intruding in your conversation, but maybe I can help. If this
conversation is about wood turning, I have been a turner for more than 60
years. It is said that when turning a bowl that if it holds water it is a bowl;
if it doesn’t it is art. With that being said, when turning green wood (fresh
not dried) it may crack as it dries. If so, the crack can be filled with a
turning filler or CA glue and the very fine sawdust (from sanding). After
filling the crack, re-sand. This will make the defect look like a design
feature. I have sold bowls for hundreds of dollars using this method. Also, to
prevent cracking or at the very least lessen it.  Turning the project to less
than 1/4th of an inch usually prevents cracking. Another method is once the
turning is done but before sanding, you may choose to boil the project in soapy
water or put it in a micro wave oven and dry it. This could take some practice.
Something you may want to try is once you have turned a 1/8th inch thick bowl
from green wood, try bending it into other shapes. I have made caps, cowboy and
top hats using this method. If I can be of more assistance, please let me know
or if this was not a conversation concerning wood turning I apologize.

Sincerely,

Lonnie