Most of those were made yesterday, The wood bowls, NO. but most of the little
things on the table were.
As far as preserving the wood, I just seal them with shellac, or wax. and leave
them be...  If the turning is worth the effort, I like to use water
displacement when possible.
As a General rule of thumb the slower the wood dry's the more stable it
becomes. By replacing the water with an oil in the wood, makes sure that the
wood will not dry out fast. I like to use tung oil or linseed oil, but mineral
oil also works.
Its an OLD Sailors trick. When replacing a broken the wooden mast's on a ship,
they would find a solid tree to replace the broken mast. The new tree is Green
WOOD, What they did was, peal the bark off the tree, put a hole in the top of
the new mast, and fill it with oil, then they would soak the new mast with the
oil all the way down the sides. once done they would keep filling the dish/hole
in the top of the mast, until the oil would find its way down to the bottom of
the mast. at this point the oil displaced to water in the wood, and it was
allowed to dry.
I use to do this on my wooden Dummy's. (Martial art/ "Wooden Man Dummy's". or
called Mook Jongs.) They are 10" dia. body's 6 feet tall,  When the wood dried
out, I had little to no cracking in the body's.  I made some 10-15 dummy's per
year using this method for over 20 yrs. with very good success.For small
turnings, I soak in a bucket of oil for a few days to a week or more, and I've
also used a pressure pot, to speed up the process, ( I know a vacuum chamber
would also work, but I have not done this...)  after the water has  been
displaced, I let the part dry out.
If you get a chance try it for you self.
Have a good day.
C.A.G.    On Sunday, December 20, 2020, 10:29:19 AM EST, Tim Ziegler