From: 'Curt George' via Legacy Ornamental Mills
Sent: Dec 25, 2020 12:17 AM
To: "legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com"
Subject: Re: Holiday bone turning.

Hello again Mac.

The process is very simple. I cut the bone in half. (using my band saw) I put the flat down on my drill press, the drill the center hole, (very much like drilling with a hole saw.) I drill down cutting the round and flat of side one. then I flip the bone over and using the same pilot hole I drill down to the inside part of the bone this cuts the curvature out from the bone.
If all goes well I am left with a bone disk still inside the bone, all I do then is cut out the bone disk. (which you can see in the photos is almost gone.) there is some light sanding of the disk to get it flat and ready for glue up.

I wouldn't mind making a video, but honestly is would be pretty boring.  I think these photo should work at least for the time being.

Now as far as getting the bone white. Hydrogen peroxide dose the trick. (or you can buy bones already bleached (with the H2,O2.) the work goes quicker.

The one fustigating part about bone. is its not all the same thickness, Leg bone work best. and What I have read, Draft horse and Oxen have the best/densest bones. What I can tell you is Smaller dog (chow bone) seem to work best for me, I can see what I'm buying, they are smaller so there is less surprises on the thickness of the bone.  and since they are smaller the price is cheaper to buy.
New bone is very oily, It will have to be left to dry out, or peroxide removes much of the oil.
I've been given horse bone, This bone was very big on the outside, but the bone was mainly merrow and very little usable bone.
I also found out that if I cut the bone into disks and then soak them, I get more useable bone quicker then If I soak the bone first.

As you can see in the photo of the handle, there is not always a all white surface. (not all bone has the same color.)

Sorry I don't want to write a book at this time. ;-)
More questions please I will answer as much as I can. but not tonight.

Have a Merry Christmas everyone.

C.A.G.