Wow, what a great group! Thank you all so much. The plate photos are very
helpful. Apparently mine is missing the flat bar that holds down one side
of the plate, which clears up any confusion about how it is secured. I'll
see if the seller can dig up that part as well. I shouldn't have any
trouble making a replacement plate and can probably mange with a simple
square one. My brother has a CNC router and access to a laser cutter so
hopefully I can enlist his help.