Before LOMs came on the horizon I dreamed of turning items with a 1/4 turn
twist, like table legs, stretchers, canes, etc.  More recently I have
dreamed of "checkering" a 1-1/4" cylinder for wooden handles. In between
there is the possibility of cutting wood threads, internal and external.
I've been trying to educate myself on how to discover the ratios needed to
make something like this happen on LOM REVO.  So the specs I used were a
maximum 40" length of twist and all of the 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 1, 2 .... 10
pitches.  For checkering, there are several densities including the most
common of 16 -21 lpi and several common angles of intersection ranging from
30° to 90­°. Putting this all together in a spread sheet containing the
gear charts I've come across and the formulas to calculate what's not
charted, I've found that the range of ratios is ENORMOUS! For example, a
40" workpiece with a 1/4 twist takes a net ratio of 640:1 and a 21 LPI
pattern at 60° on a 1.213" diameter cylinder takes a .8202 pitch of cut.
That's if I've done the math correctly.

What this leads to is a lengthy wish list of gear combinations, even if
peeled down to more common situations.  And I don't have the .25 or 2X,
even 4X gear sets. How many banks do I have to rob to get one or more of
these if available?  I foresee using a nest of double gears.  I need to
study more about what "Group A", "Group B", and "Group C" means. And how
the workpiece pitches were calculated from the gear combos.  Any hints?

So, realistically, CNC is the "logical" solution, but no one has recently
accused me of being logical. Increasing the pitch of the lead screw isn't
all that helpful

DanK