When thinking about top cutting rounds vs side cutting rounds using the LOM
I note that the cutting action is very different and the resulting surface
quality may be affected. The top cutting action tears across the grain and
the side cutting action shears diagonally with the grain leaving a much
smoother tear free surface if the feeds and speeds are close to optimal.
The diagonal shear cut comes from the cutting edge meeting the rotating
wood, so even a straight flute bit shears in either climb cut or "regular"
cut. The top cut may leave a more accurate cylindrical surface because the
contact is broad (diameter of bit) and movement is co-linear with the
axis.  The side cut is point to point contact at the finished surface.  If
the side cutter is large diameter and the feed is slow, the inevitable
variations following the pitch of cut may not be detectable.

This is theory resulting from the observation of doing. I don't have a
strong preference unless a template is involved.  Then of course, side
cutting is easiest.  The only way to get sharp detail at concave
transitions is to top cut with appropriate cutter, which can be located
(for repetition) by using a notched template and spring loaded follower. Of
course, marks on the rails work too!  The desired result may dictate which
method to use.

Just thinking out loud.
DanK