Looks good curt perhaps a short video of it working to show how useful the
template follower can be

Bill

From: 'Curt George' via Legacy Ornamental Mills
<legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2024 7:28 AM
To: Legacy ornamental mills <legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com>
Subject: New front mounted template follower

Hello Everyone.

I just finished up working on my Front mounted template follower for my 1000ex.

When I changed out my Z axis and added the linear rail to my machine,

I lost the use of my old front mounted template follower.

I like to use the template follower on my Legacy to do a number of different
types of jobs. Outside the idea of making the Legacy into a direct copy lathe
of sorts.

Using a template is a great way to gain more control of your machine,

with the use of a template you can rope on a profile on almost any spindle. You
can add accents or details to any work you would like to make. (Flat work or
round.)

I could go on. with the use of how I have used this simple tool in the past.
But for now, this is what I did, and why?

I found using the template follower the way it was originally made on the
Legacy, somewhat harder to use then it needed to be, Due to having the template
so far form the working side/controls of the Legacy, to be problematic, and
hard to control due to this distance , So years ago I re-designed my Legacy to
hold the  templates in the front of my machine. To give me better control. And
it worked out very well for me. (If you like you can search the archives to see
the old pix.)

In not 100% sure its done, Yet. but It is useable at this point. So I wanted to
show everyone what I did .

The template holder mounts to the lower rails of the legacy. (I am using
Uni-strut, found in most electrical areas in any Big box stores and or
electrical or plumbing supply houses.)

The follower is just a pin or stylus that allows you to control the router.
(the Y axis is left free floating when using the template follower. )

For me I like to use both the motor control on my X axis and the follower of
the template on the Y axis together to gain the best of both worlds. (so to
speak.) Control and power is the goal.  Due to my use of the motor drive, My
follower dose not have to be big and strong on the X axis. so you can see my
follower is just 1/2" tubing. (its more then strong enough to control the X
axis)

"O" one more note, the follower is small at this time, but I can easily make it
the full length of my Legacy if I want.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/legacy-ornamental-mills/1034468375.5774501.1713216494735%40mail.yahoo.com

<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/legacy-ornamental-mills/1034468375.5774501.1713216494735%40mail.yahoo.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
 .