Gail,
You address an interesting point I have been pondering. There is not much chance that I will publish anything in my lifetime. There is 100% chance that I will put my family genealogy on a website via TNG (The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding) <http://lythgoes.net/genealogy/software.php>. You have given me the "nudge" that I needed to solely use Legacy as the basis for a website and not a publication where I have to worry about Legacy's sentence structure. Thanks!!
            Arnold

At 07:54 AM 6/23/2006, you wrote:
Previous Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] How do you record someone acting as a witness? Changes in County boundaries?
Hi Carol, I also use the Georgia Land Lottery books quite a bit and have decided to create an event called Land Lottery for them. I thought about using a residence event, but Land Lottery seems more precise because often when one received land in the lottery, he moved to the place where the land was (although you have to prove this!). It's really a matter of preference though. I like the way it looks in the chronology. By the way, check out my source list because I have almost every land lottery book listed in the sources.

I also include an event every time a county boundary changes (quite often for those Georgia counties!). I call it County Formation and I fill in the date. In the description I add something like, "Montgomery County was formed from Washington County" (assuming they had already been established in Georgia). You can see an example of county boundary events and land lotteries for my Martin Rich (I245) at www.roots2buds.net.

I also create events for when an ancestor witnesses a will, marriage, land transaction, etc. and just call it Witness (for now). I fill in the details and attach the source. You're right that it does pinpoint where they were at a place and time. I also add Move events and put, for example, "Bet 1800 and 1805" when I can flank those dates with supporting events. All this is very helpful with chronologies. I like to account for every moment I can scrape together of their lives!

One more thought - since I use TNG (The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding) to build my web site, I scrapped the idea of fitting everything neatly into Legacy's sentences. TNG does not import the wording so I just put everything in the notes part of the event except the description, date, and place. If/when I publish, I will (I'm sure) tediously custome design my own sentences to exactly fit what I am trying to convey. It's all a matter of how you plan to use your data that dictatates your choice of input.

Gail Rich Nestor
Smyrna, Georgia
www.roots2buds.net

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carol" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com>
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2006 10:40 PM
Subject: [LegacyUG] How do you record someone acting as a witness? Changes in County boundaries?

I know this is a sore spot for many users, but how do you record the fact
that someone acted as a witness on a deed or a will?  I thought about using
Fact1 or Fact2, but one of my folks has a lot of these events in various
counties over a number of pre-census years, and I want to use them to
document where he was and how he moved from county to county.

Also, how do you document the shifting county lines?  Is this something
that properly belongs in a note?  I want to explain that my guy didn't move,
the county boundary just changed about four times in 20 years...

Carol

Legacy User Group guidelines can be found at: http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Etiquette.asp

To find past messages, please go to our searchable archives at: http://www.mail-archive.com/legacyusergroup@legacyfamilytree.com/

For online technical support, please visit http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Help.asp