On 23 Jul 2006  Kirstin wrote:

> How do you automate the backups? I have a thumb drive, that I actually
> have a copy of the program on (that way I can run the program on someone
> else's computer). Then I put the latest zip backup on it. I know a
> little bit about auto-run batch files, but not much.

Well I have the Legacy data file(s) on a removable "thumb" drive or
whatever people wish to call them -- USB drives, zip drives, flash
drives, etc.  Obviously this doesn't prevent the Legacy program files
also being on that same drive.

The backups are on my desktop and my laptop computers, as well as
being uploaded off-site to my web space on my ISP's server -- so
backups are in 3 different places.

Adding autorun files to the removable drive allows you to write
coding into a batch file which will be run whenever you plug that
removable drive into a computer.  That batch file can do anything you
want -- verify which computer it's plugged into and copy files from
or to itself, etc.  I found that the autorun feature wouldn't work on
USB drives with my version of WinXP unless I installed "APO USB
Autorun" which is available free from the Internet -- just Google it.

The batch files are fairly straightforward to write depending on
what you want to do and where you want your backups.  I'll provide
assistance to anyone in setting this up for Legacy backups but please
contact me off-list as I don't think this is on-topic for this list.

Cheers, -- Dave N.
--
  David Naylor, Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada.
---