From: "Cathy Flamholtz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] changed married / maiden names
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 12:26:46 -0700

From what I have seen (I'm a Legacy newbie), I really like Legacy, but
I do feel this is one place where it falls really short. Since the
powers that be are considering an update on this, I'd like to suggest
something a bit more far-reaching than just adding a sort using a
married surname. As I've written before, I'm only familiar with one
other genealogical software program, Reunion. Since it's for Macintosh
exclusively, most people aren't familiar with it, but the way it
handles this issue is so far and away ahead of Legacy that I have to
suggest that you check it out. (And I'm using an older version of
Reunion)

Reunion users go to the person they are searching for by utilizing the
index (rather than a name list). The grid looks like Reunion's index
grid, but includes a number of sort features. There's a little box
where you can specify that you'd like to see: All, or Just males, just
females, or those you specified as unknown sex.

Then, you tell it to sort your list of names by (there are two sections):
Last name, first name
First name, last  name
Soundex-last name, first name
ID number, last name, first name
ID number, first name, last name
right under this are all the same as above, but using married surnames

as you click on any name, the id number is shown
In addition, there are the same entries shown as in Legacy's grid
which include birthdate, birth place, death date and death place, and
spouse, but they are all immediately able to be configured. Click on
the heading birth date, for instance, and there are pull down menus
that allow you to change it so that it shows anything that you've
entered in any field. So I could pick Parents and have this shown
instead of spouse or the death place. I often find it handy to see
both the Spouse and the Parents when I'm trying to figure which of the
12 Mary Vails I've discovered new information about. If I'm searching
for someone who came in via Ellis Island, I could show all the
emigration dates instead of one of the other headings.

This makes searching a breeze. The only thing I wish is that you could
sort by, not only name, but date.

These settings, again operating on pull down configurables, are so
much easier than having to go to the trouble of customizing.

I wish you'd expand the index section, make it this versatile, and
allow us to navigate around so that we wouldn't have to use the name
list at all.

CJF

Be the first to hear what's new at MSN - sign up to our free newsletters! http://www.msn.co.uk/newsletters