Hi Bill,
A link is a connection between one person and another in the family.
If you unlink a son from his parents, the son and all his descendants will be unlinked from the parents and any other children or relatives connected to them.

It's like cutting off a branch of a tree.

If you do this and then look at View > Tree Finder and click Refresh, you'd find you had a least two trees in your database.

Hope that clarifies enough for you to move on in your data entry. If not, get back to me and I'll try again :-)

Cathy