Thanks Bryan. That'll work for me.
Richard

----- Original Message ----- From: "Support/Brian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 12:44 PM
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Separate file of a local area

Re your problem with Merged persons in the smaller file still remaining in the Master:

It is better to leave both people and enter a note for each one saying why they should be merged. You are right that the master file will still retain the two original people, remember it was not changed while you were on the research trip. The Intellimerge will note the difference in Notes and those two will then be flagged during the intellimerge as changed. If you merge in the smaller file then there is no second person in the smaller file to be found during the intellimerge. It only works for people who are in both files.

Brian
Customer Support
Millennia Corporation
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com

We are changing the world of genealogy!

When replying to this message, please include all previous correspondence.
Thanks.

Richard Van Wasshnova wrote:
I export from my main file all persons who would be found in a film or series of films, (say Rheinsheim, Baden). When I'm looking at the films of the area it's easier to navigate a smaller, all pertinant list of names, sources, locations. From time to time I import the subsidiary file back into the main file using intellimerge. This is fast and unchanged individuals are automatically merged. I assign a source, (Rheinsheim) during import so next time I can export a new updated Rheinsheim subsidiary file using the source.

Some problems I haven't worked out:
If I do a merge in the subsidiary file the merged person remains in main file.

After the subsidiary file is merged the multimedia files referenced to deleted records remain orphaned. A file Check/Repair operation produces the following file. It took awhile for me to figure out what it meant but apparently it's just a cleanup operation.

Check/Repair of Legacy Family File: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\vanwasshnova.fdb
Date: 08-03-2006
Please check this file very carefully.
It's a good idea to run another Check/Repair after you verify the items in this file.

There were 2681 Picture record(s) that were unreferenced by any record. These Picture record(s) have been removed.

The unreferenced picture file was linked to a source citation. Picture Name=m_1828-01-27.jpg, Caption=m_1828-01-27, Date=

The unreferenced picture file was linked to a source citation. Picture Name=m_1828-01-27.jpg, Caption=m_1828-01-27, Date=

<snip>
Richard Van Wasshnova

Legacy User Group guidelines can be found at: http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Etiquette.asp

To find past messages, please go to our searchable archives at: http://www.mail-archive.com/legacyusergroup@legacyfamilytree.com/