From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Gary Crull
Sent: Saturday, August 19, 2006 7:41 AM
To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] how to chart kinship

IF I understand this thread you're wanting to chart everybody in your database in a descendant tree or chart.

As a convert from Brothers Keeper software http://bkwin.org/ I keep it updated to prepare reports of this type GEDCOM-ing  my Legacy database into it. BK has an option to create a descendant report on any individual. Last time I tried doing this I came out with a chart about 3' wide and 12' long. BK has the ability to print on continuos feed paper (if your printer will support continuos feed paper). Otherwise you've got a LOT of pasting to do!! Unfortunately, that's a drawback with ANY genealogy program I'm familiar with.

BK also has an option to calculate and print the RELATIONSHIP on a descendant report of an individual of your choice to EVERY other individual in the report. A very SIMPLIFIED and ABBREVIATED example:

Levi Smith (great grandfather)
        Walter Smith (grandfather)
                Marlin Smith (father)
                        Alan Smith (myself)
                                Lisa Smith (daughter)
                                        Joe Smith (granddaughter)
                                Marcy Smith (daughter)
                                        Moraine Smith (granddaughter)
                                        John Smith (grandson)
        Edgar Smith (great uncle)
        Ruth Smith (great aunt)
        Levi Jr Smith (great uncle)
        Geneva Smith (great aunt)
                Velma Smith (1st cousin once removed)
                        Sarah Smith (2nd cousin)
                                Tom Smith (2nd cousin once removed)

In the last hour or so of the Salt Lake Genealogical Conference a couple years ago I had the chance to meet and discuss this BK feature with Geoff R at the Legacy booth - drawing a chart similar to the above to illustrate my point. While Legacy can calculate the relationship between individuals I don't think there's any ability to calculate, AND print, anything like this BK option. Geoff seemed interested in this feature and I hoped it might be something that would show up at some time in a Legacy update. It may never have gotten any further than he and I discussing it.

If that is the case I would like to formally request of Geoff, Sherry, or other of the "movers and shakers" who decide these things that (I think) this would be a tremendous asset added to Legacy.

gc