You seem to be a well organized, professional level family historian.  Thanks for the ideas.  I am still struggling.
Keith Arnold
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 12:38 PM
Subject: Re: RE: [LegacyUG] Organizing your Research

This looks like a great system, but I think I will stick with a system I have used for over 20 years because it helps me visualize where each family fits in my pedigree. I have folders in both hard copy and digital format to hold documents and artifacts related to each individual family. I use the ahnentafel number associated with my pedigree and the same thing for my husband's pedigree. Since all even numbers are fathers and odd numbers are mothers, and each direct ancestor doubles the generation before it, it is easy to follow the connection. Siblings are handled using lower case letters (i.e. 12 a, 12b, 6, 12d). Note that mother's go under their husband's folder. Digitally, the folders are also filed according to surname. Each file has a table of contents and there are index files with hyperlinks.  In the hard copy file drawers, the file label also includes the name and range of years of the husband along with the ahnentafel number.

i.e. The main Lentz folder contains all my husband's surname folders:
Lentz/L1, L2, L4, L8, L16, L32, L64, L128, ...,
Wiest/ L6, L12, L24, L48, L96, ....
Riegle/L10, L20, L40, L80, ....
Jury/L14, L28, L54, L108, ...

The main Hacking folder contains all my surname folders:
Hacking/H1, H2, H4, H8, H16, H32, H64, H128, ...
Small/H6, H12, H24, H48, H96, H192, ...
Wilcox/H10, H20, H40, H80, H160, H320, ...
Giberson/H14, H28, H54, H108, ...