Fred:

Thanks for this timeline.  I had the years, but not the exact dates.

Kirsten

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Fred
(C.F.) Prong
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2006 3:42 PM
To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Colonies, Provinces and Territories

Kirsten:

Land Divisions in the 1800s in now Ontario, Canada:

     Before - 10 Feb 1841:  Town, Township, District, Upper Canada
11 Feb 1841 - 31 Dec 1849:  Town, Township, District, Canada West
 1 Jan 1850 - 30 Jun 1867:  Town, Township, County, Canada West
 1 Jul 1867 - & Afterward:  Town, Township, County, Ontario

Hope this helps,
Fred, St. Thomas, Ontario

--- Kirsten Bowman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> How do you handle colonies, provinces and territories in Legacy's location
> fields?  Is "country" the ultimate *governing* body or the geographical
> location?  What is the country designation for the (now) US state of
> Georgia, for example, prior to 1776?  Do you put the colony name in the
> state position and "New England" in the country field?  "Georgia, New
> England" sounds silly and probably isn't technically correct either, since
> there was no real governing body for all 13 colonies other than the
British