Funny this subject should come up!  I come home from work to see a dozen
emails about something that I have had a lot of thought about.

I have been a happy Legacy user for many years, but then thought to myself
that I should try TMG just because I thought I should try something
different (probably something like the grass is greener in that "other"
cemetery).  So I shelled out the extra bucks, and you know what?  It didn't
take long for me to come back to Legacy.  I really toiled about this and
wrote my own pros and cons a while ago, and here they are:

Comparing TMG to Legacy

Legacy
      Pros
.       Places are "auto filled" when you start typing a place
      (TMG has a 'repeat last field' feature, but you have to go to a menu
       and find it, where Legacy, you just type and it fills in)
.       Places are all on one line. (separate fields on TMG)
.       You can sort events and children any way you want them.
      (TMG sorts with date first)
.       I really like the source clipboard
      (TMG has a 'repeat last source', but it is clunky, and if you have one

       source that affects lots of people, you have a lot of copy and
       pasting to do for source details)
.       Some of the new features like Geo Locations are cool
.       I like the "one click" navigation
      (TMG you have to double click - big whoop!)

Cons
.       It is hard to see all of the events for a person at a glance
      (like events, AKA's, children and other spouses are each on separate
       screens)
.       You can not assign witnesses to an event (like census)

TMG
      Pros
.       You can see each item (event) about an individual while you edit
      (events, AKAs, children, other spouses are all visible while you edit)
.       If the name of a spouse of an individual is not known, you can
specify
      to not print "UNKNOWN" on a report,
      Sometimes, you just want a blank instead of an obnoxious "UNKOWN" on a

      Descendancy report!
.       For events, you can specify if the source applies to a date, or
place
      (it does not consider the source for both unless you specify.. like if

       you found a source for a marriage with one source and the date on
       another source, and another source gives the location, you can
       specify which is which)
Cons
.       Places are separated out into City, State, etc
      (a lot of extra keying in).
.       Sometimes you get strange unexplainable errors (unstable at times)
.       Reports are very hard to work with.
.       Note fields are hard to work with (especially to get them to print
the way you want on a report - where as Legacy allows you to type anything
in the notes and they come out they way you typed it on a report)

This last thing was the clincher for me (along with the source clip board).
It took me a very long time going through the manual to find all of the
right control characters one would have to learn to get a report to come out
the way you want it, while with Legacy, you hit enter and you get a new
line...  TMG note fields are like working with an old DOS text editor!

Bottom like for me, is that Legacy gives me everything I need and it is
simply easier to work with.  Not to knock TMG, I like a lot of the features.
Some days I kind of wish Legacy would add some of those features - like
adding witnesses to events (wink, wink!).  But at this stage in the game, I
am very happy I went back to Legacy.  I will keep it!

Hope this is not too much information!

Tim Willis
Voorheesville, NY