Thank you Jennifer and Tom,
I am pleased to hear that it isn't only me that has had this problem. I have
done other merges with drop and drag without any problem.
I have basicly followed Jim's advice.
1. Exported the offending family line into another legacy file using tagging
individuals.
2. Using the same tag number deleted that branch of the family that was
causing the problem.
3. Ran check and repair
4. Printed out a list of people in the second file from the name list and
used this list as a reference against my main file.
5. Using the above list, checked all people in my main file using the name
list. Tagged all the offending duplicate people, than search and find those
that were tagged and then deleted them. I found this was the quickest way.
6. than ran check and repair again.
Although I had a backup, when this happened I had entered a lot of
information on different children of this family and this problem occured on
one children and her descendants - about 500 people. to go to the back up
meant losing information on about 1000 people.
Thanks for every one's help and suggestions. Thru solving the problem I have
learnt more about using Legacy so it was not all bad.
regards
Anne
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Terry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Saturday, September 23, 2006 3:19 AM
Subject: RE: [LegacyUG] Merge has corrupted database
Anne,
I read the other replies about restoring your family file from a good
backup
copy and I heartily agree.
Before importing again here is what I recommend:
1. Import the new records into a temporary working family file first.
2. Next examine the file carefully for problems and also run a
Check/Repair
on it (click on File and select File Maintenance > Check/Repair).
3. Open your main family file and also run Check/Repair on it. I do
Check/Repair on all of my family files regularly, even when I am not
getting
errors of any kind. It keeps them "healthy" and of course I always back
them up regularly.
4. At this point I do a split screen and drop and drag from the working
family file into my main family file and then do one more Check/Repair
just
for good measure.
Please see http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/tipsTrouble-Free.asp . You
don't
have to do all of the steps on this web page, just the main ones listed
above.
Jim Terry
Technical Support
Legacy Family Tree
Legacy User Group guidelines can be found at:
http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Etiquette.asp
To find past messages, please go to our searchable archives at:
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/
For online technical support, please visit
http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Help.asp
To unsubscribe please visit:
http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/LegacyLists.asp
Legacy User Group guidelines can be found at:
http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Etiquette.asp
To find past messages, please go to our searchable archives at:
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/
For online technical support, please visit
http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Help.asp
To unsubscribe please visit: http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/LegacyLists.asp