Lots of good ideas, Rich.  Thanks!

Pat

> The TO DO list is meant to be unorganized. (not
> really, but yes.) I jse mine in a different direction
> than most. I first put a code in the name for the
> type, because I save the paper and ink as best as I
> can. Here are some examples. Task needing Doing:
> BC GER  Bittner, Carl 1829
> CEN IN Eaton, Emma C. 1910 [00699]
> HUS SWE Ransäter 1785-1824 Jonas Nilsson
> These make the sorts more easy.
> I also use the priority as a code. direct ancestors
> are high. siblings are medium. cousins are low.
> When I preview the list, I decide
> 1. how many I can get done in the time available
> 2. how many I actually have waiting.
> 3. this tells me if I want H,M and L or just H. My To
> Do list is over 1000 to be done, so I may never get to
> the lows.
> The internet sites are in as repositories, which is
> part of the sort process. Examples would be Census
> records to get off Ancestry.
> I myself do not set dates to get done by. When I have
> free time I go. I don't need deadlines in my hobbies.
> I have taken out most of the 'heading' lines because
> they are too much empty space. I have created about 60
> Census catagories. One for each country and for each
> year. I use research tag for all on-one callsline or
> driving places, correspondence for letters, and other
> is for telephone calls, newspaper articles of general
> nature.
> Regarding Repositories, I always try to have a print
> out in my briefcase for each one, in case I find
> myself near one. I try to have all my TO DOs printed
> as soon as the old one has been cleaned up. This
> includes having all out of state ones done. I may have
> a relative mention they are going to a place, so I can
> mail of email my needs, which may be our family, so
> getting someone else to help you. But you must share
> back.
> "Also what about a field as to type of task, i.e.,
>  letter, phone call, internet request form, email,
> interview, ILL, etc.? "
> For this, I mentioned earlier, the codes in the Task
> name. Once you get used to coding that area, it cleans
> up a lot.
> I also do a 'bad' thing, in that when I have gotten
> the desired data, I delete the TO DO, instead of
> keeping it around. After I have the census
> transcribed, I don't care what day I found it. That
> stuff goes in the Source created for the record. I
> only keep open To Do's.
>
> Rich
>
> --- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> Interesting and helpful!  My to-do list is a
>> shambles and my research
>> disorganized to say the least and I find your
>> suggestions inspiring!
>>
>> Do you include Internet sites to search and if so
>> could you post some
>> examples?
>>
>> As far as additions, what about priority and date
>> you want to get each
>> item done by?
>>
>> I guess the person field is for the individual in
>> your database to be
>> researched?  Would you want to add the RIN or MRIN
>> (I just read the
>> article in the most recent Legacy news about
>> organizing by M/RIN and was
>> favorably impressed).
>>
>> Also it would be good to be able to sort the
>> repository by city, county,
>> state or perhaps some other kind of location field
>> so that when you go on
>> a research trip you could hit all the
>> courthouses/libraries along the
>> way--do you know what I'm trying to say??
>>
>> Also what about a field as to type of task, i.e.,
>> letter, phone call,
>> internet request form, email, interview, ILL, etc.?
>>
>> Thanks for bringing up the topic!
>>
>> Pat
>> > Hi all, I keep trying to find the best way to
>> manage my lengthy to-do
>> > list, but there seem to be some limitations with
>> Legacy and with every
>> > other software I have tried (most recently Clooz).
>>  Basically, I need
>> > more fields and more ways to combine and/or
>> isolate data!  I think
>> > Legacy could be very workable with just a few
>> updates.  Right now, I
>> > have it all in Excel.  These are the standard
>> fields I have:
>> >
>> > Repository Name
>> > Repository Location
>> > Repository Type
>> > Repository Comments
>> > Source Name
>> > Source Type
>> > Source Comments
>> > Person(s)
>> > Date of Event
>> > Type of Record
>> > Comments
>> > Date Assigned
>> > Date Completed
>> > Next Steps
>> >
>> > Here are some examples from my list:
>> > Repository Name: Smyrna Library
>> > Repository Location: Smyrna, GA
>> > Repository Type: library
>> > Source Name: Decatur/Early, Georgia Newspaper
>> Clippings
>> > Source Type: book
>> > Source Comments: [author's name, call number,
>> etc.]
>> > Person(s): James Bird
>> > Date of Event: 6/15/1855
>> > Type of Record: obituary
>> > Comments: search index for obituary listing
>> > Date Assigned: 10/6/2006
>> > Date Completed:
>> > Next Steps: if not found, check the paper copies
>> in the courthouse on next
>> > visit
>> >
>> > Repository Name: home of Jane Harrell Lambert
>> > Repository Location: Bainbridge, GA
>> > Repository Type: personal
>> > Source Name: Jane Harrell Lambert
>> > Source Type: personal
>> > Source Comments: [phone number]
>> > Person(s): William W. Harrell
>> > Date of Event: [none]
>> > Type of Record: photograph
>> > Comments: ask to see & possibly scan photo
>> > Date Assigned: 10/6/2006
>> > Date Completed
>> > Next Steps: call to schedule visit
>> >
>> > Repository Name: Georgia Archives
>> > Repository Location: Morrow, GA
>> > Repository Type: archives
>> > Source Name: Early County Inferior Court Minutes
>> > Source Type: microfilm
>> > Source Comments: drawer x, box y
>> > Person(s): Elijah Fenn
>> > Date of Event: 8/1845
>> > Type of Record: estate sale
>> > Comments:
>> > Date Assigned:10/6/2006
>> > Date Completed
>> > Next Steps
>> >
>> > Legacy already lets me attach a to-do nicely to a
>> person or people or
>> > in general (which Excel cannot do).  I would just
>> like to see a few
>> > more enhancements for the next version.  Maybe
>> others can build on
>> > this so we can combine ideas to make this really
>> helpful.
>> >
>> > Any thoughts?
>> > Gail
>> >
>> > --
>> > Gail Rich Nestor
>> > Smyrna, Georgia
>> > www.roots2buds.net
>> >




Legacy User Group guidelines can be found at: 
http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Etiquette.asp

To find past messages, please go to our searchable archives at: 
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/

For online technical support, please visit 
http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Help.asp

To unsubscribe please visit: http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/LegacyLists.asp


Reply via email to