Many thanks to Cathy, Lloyd and Susan.  Creating a new Legacy file worked.
There were originally 1,781 individuals in my file, of which 318 were
tagged for another purpose.  I am now down to 1,157 individuals.  All who
were tagged for that other purpose are present and accounted for, and still
tagged.  What a relief!  Even with Legacy, where everything is so
transparent and editable from just about anywhere, I cannot imagine finding
and deleting over 600 non-related persons one at a time. -- Alice