I was unable to keep up with Legacy emails for a while and just found this discussion about children with a "natural" relationship to their parents. Historically a "natural" child was one born out of wedlock. E.g., ___ Llewellyn married a natural [i.e., illegitimate] daughter of King John. I had a neighbor in Richmond who used the term in that way, so it could lead to some unwanted confusion, it seems to me.

Also, in Legacy I don't see that term used. I see "biological," "adopted," etc.

Pat

----- Original Message ----- From: "Susan Daily" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com>
Sent: Sunday, September 10, 2006 5:20 PM
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Relationship to Father/Relationship to Mother

When I first began using Legacy, I imported a GEDCOM and the children
were all imported with a "Natural" relationship to their parents. But
when I now enter a child in Legacy, I have to remember to select
Natural. It would be nice (for me) if Legacy would automatically
choose Natural when a child is linked to parents. (Is there an option
for this? If not, could there be an option to select for this?)

I think it is important to have this information, because it can be
crucial to sourcing how you found out who the parents were to this
child. You won't always remember how you discovered that Joe DOE was
the father to Mary DOE.

On another note, I have used Child Status to indicate "Niece" when a
girl went from being listed as Niece to Daughter in her Aunt's
household over many years of census returns, and I had no information
on who her parents were. So it can be used if there are ambiguous
relationships without documentation showing adoption, etc.

With regards to the original question, the two relationships take up
two fields, not just one, so that is probably why it is not an option.
If you add Stepchild to the Child Status list, how will you know from
the family view who is the Stepparent? You may wish to think through
this before making changes.

Susan