Hi Pat,

The first thing with Legacy sourcing is to get your head around the difference between a Master Source and the Source Detail.

I think you've done that.

Your cousin is the Master Source (however formally you enter her as the Master Source), each email a Source detail.

It sounds like you've been using the Source Clipboard.
Changing the Source Detail doesn't do anything to the Source Detail Text. If it's no longer appropriate, you need to delete it.

To correct your error, it may be easier to delete all that Source Detail Text with Search > Search and Replace and then enter it again in the right place.
Search for some of the unique text using:
Find where: Citation - Text
Find what: (the unique phrase you choose)
Replacement text: blank - make sure you don't add spaces
How to find: anywhere in the field
How to replace: replace entire field ...

Perhaps it is related to this?:>
On the "Detail Text" screen, there is a box in front of "Add this Text to the Source Citation on Reports" -- What does this sentence mean?> 1) Every time this source is cited in a report--regardless of the detail--add this text.?? 2) Every time this source WITH this particular detail is cited in a report, add this text.?? 3) The first time this source is cited in a report--regardless of the detail--add this text.?? 4) The first time this source WITH this particular detail is cited in a report, add this text.?? 5) "Add this Text to the Source Citation on Reports"; but otherwise, don't show it.?? 6) "Add this Text to the Source Citation rather than to the Source Detail on Reports."??
etc

2) is correct.
Note that if the entire Source Detail is identical (Detail, Detail text, comments - I haven't checked pictures as I stopped adding source pics) then the Master Source with that particular source detail only prints once in a report, however many times it is cited. That's why it is not a good idea to put, for example, the transcription of a census household in the Source Detail Text and bold the relevant person if the whole household is in your database.

=====
Also on the "Edit Master Source Definition" screen--"Text of Source" tab, I don't know what it means on that Text screen, lower left where you can choose to "Include on reports" either the "First time" or "Each time" -- I understand the "Each Time" (I think), but by "First Time" does it mean
1)the first time this particular individual is mentioned ??
or
2) the first time this source appears in the source notes, regardless of the individual it refers to. ??
=====

2) is correct

I do apologize for being so long-winded, but can somebody tell me how to paste text into the "Detail Text" and have it show up with that detail ONLY?? I want the "Detail Text" to attach to the detail and NOT to the entire Master Source.)

It does - somehow you were adding a source with its details and not clearing the detail text tab when it was not relevant. Easy to do when using the Source Clipboard. :-(

Cathy