Dear LUGgies,

First, my apologies that this is not a Legacy-type question. Again, my sincere apologies for breaking etiquette, but I'm at my wits end. Hope some of you can give me some ideas.

My earliest known family members have their history (births, baptisms, marriages, deaths, etc.) recorded in the Moravian Church registers (from Nazareth, Pennsylvania).

I can access these registers at the Moravian Archives in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.

My problem: All the documents aren't just simply written in German. No-o-o, my ancestors had to document their history in 18th century German Handschrift!

If you've never seen "handschrift" (literally, hand writing) it looks like the scratches left by a dozen roosters in combat!

Can someone make suggestions as to how I can get that nasty "handschrift" transcribed and translated?

The Archives is reluctant to make suggestions, since they use these sources to transcribe and translate many of their documents.

Thanks much for your suggestions!

Richard Heckman
Nazareth, Pennsylvania
Lord, grant me the senility
to forget the people I never liked,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Legacy User Group guidelines can be found at: http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Etiquette.asp

To find past messages, please go to our searchable archives at: http://www.mail-archive.com/legacyusergroup@legacyfamilytree.com/

For online technical support, please visit http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Help.asp