wrote
I would appreciate knowing how others "cite" a birth or death location when the event happened on a body of water.  Other than a few relatives who were reportedly born/died on steamships headed to the US, I am particularly referring to accidents on lakes/rivers.  I have considered the embarkation port, the name of the lake, the state to which the lake is contiguous or the area where most of the bodies washed up.  I have been unable to locate death certificates or burial locations for about 6 people, and I don't want to add the name of the steamship to the location field.  I can always add notes in the events or cause of death field, but the actually location has me stymied.

I haven't had to do it, but I guess I would use the name of the river/lake as part of the location just as I would state a village or town. Thus I might enter "Lake Windermere, Cumbria, England" or "River Weaver, Cheshire, England".
--
Jenny M Benson