I for one, will defend Legacy and I think it is by far the best software out
there.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Dora Smith
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2006 5:56 PM
To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] General Location Research

Oh.  Grin.   But seriously, Legacy slow down a computer with plenty of
resources, like mine.

Also, in my experience, size of a program is directly inversely related to
how efficiently it runs.  In fact, I was actually taught that in computer
science, and my sister, who is now a project manager for IBM, staunchly
agreed with it.    I really think that Legacy's biggest problem is the
needlessly complicated way it structures data.   It takes alot of
unnecessary code, and alot of computer resources, to structure data in
complicated ways that can and should be structured in simple ways.

If you don't believe me, look at the relative size, data structure, and
memory usage of PAF.

If it weren't that Legacy is filling in for critical shortcomings in most
other genealogical software, I'd actually rate it as a middling good
program, and I'd also probably not use it.    The tag system of data entry
and editing is itself a serious shortcoming, enough to prevent people from
using it for data entry and major editing, and I also prefer to export to my

other programs from PAF because I know other programs will import its
output.   If Rootsmagic ever gets its act together, I'll probably use it
instead.

I'm only using Legacy at this time because after the excellent job PAF
Companion did of putting all the information in my genealogical reports and
formatting them straightforwardly, it strangely reverts to not listing
multiple spouses and their children on its web pages.

Legacy even makes a complex task of answering someone's question on the
black sheep list about whether emigrant John Balch had a daughter named
Abigail.   Legacy would have taken a long time to load, three times as long
to find Abigail Balch, and then it takes six steps to close the program.
You have to remember that with Legacy you don't use the search feature to
search, which is never easy.   In Legacy you use view to search even though
it has a search feature.   Even if you know the program well this is
confusing.  You have to tell it six times that you do want to close the
program and you don't want to back up this and that, before it will let you
close.    You have to tell it you did not lie when you told it to close!
With PAF, looking up the information just took exactly 30 seconds.

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, TX
[EMAIL PROTECTED]