-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Dora Smith
Sent: Friday, December 01, 2006 8:14 PM
To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Foster children

Paul, I looked through these last night.

I can't find anythign at all to do with proper formats for genealogical
reports, and I also could find no discussion about multiple spouses, step
children, adopted children, and foster children.

 I looked at standards for sound genealogical research, and guidelines for
publishing web pages on the internet.  There seems to be no document on
standards for publishing genealogical reports.

I do not find anything about adopted children, foster children, or step
children in anything that you've cited below, either.

Do you see something that I missed?

Actually, the editor of the NGS Quarterly wrote back to me that he knows of
no rules or standards that forbid including these categories of children,
that they should be included with proper documentation, and that no
currently available genealogical software conforms to the actual standards
of the professional genealogical societies, partly because they don't take
family complexity into account.

Now, I thought I posted this, but the post I answered was in a funny place
in my mailbox, and you could also have easily posted this long before I
posted that, but just to be safe, I'll post the information again.

He specifically recommended a source; NGSQ style is Joan Ferris Curran,
Madilyn Coen Crane, and John H. Wray, Numbering Your Genealogy: Basic
Systems, Complex Families, and International Kin (Arlington, Va.,: National
Genealogical Society, 1999), a publication that every serious genealogist
should have. The second chapter addresses step relationships, adoptions, and

similar complexities. It is based on a article that appeared in NGSQ about a

decade ago.

Actually a quarter of this discussion is ending up in the funny place in my
mailbox.   Some people ahve Fw in the subject line and OE isn't treating
that as a list post.

He also wanted to know the sources of the idea that it is wrong to include
these categories of children, and I'd like to pin that down too.    PLEASE
don't tell me people are getting this heated over what they extrapolated
from their high school manuals on how to write term papers!    I think it
has to be a little more than that.   Is there any chance a desire to hush up

irregular family details by ways of thinking a century old have something to

do with this?   I have to be suspicious when you start saying that you only
share information about foster and adopted children privately.

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, TX
[EMAIL PROTECTED]