  From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Bob
  Sent: Saturday, December 09, 2006 11:06 AM
  To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
  Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] signatures & names

  Kirsten Bowman wrote:
    I had a Wilhelmus (baptism) or Wilhelm (marriage), but his will was
signed "William" so that's what I use as the preferred name.  My database is
primarily for posting at RootsWeb, however, and other researchers of this
line most often use "Wilhelmus" for this individual.  In order to have my
file picked up in searches, I now show him as "William or Wilhelmus."

  Kirsten,

  It sounds to me like this baptism information was obtained from church
records of a Roman Catholic church.  In almost every such record that I have
looked at the priest made an attempt to Latin-ize the first name of the
child, whether there ever was such a Latin name or not.  Some of the results
are almost hilarious, and in many instances there was no consistency from
priest to priest or parish to parish about how the real name given to the
child by the parents was converted to fake Latin.  If that is the case, you
can be sure that the person was NEVER known by the name Wilhelmus, even by
the priest who wrote that entry in the church records!

  Bob

*** Give the gift of Legacy for the holidays! Order online at
http://legacyfamilytree.com/Redirect/Store-Legacy.asp or call 1-800-753-3453.
***