Dave: Interesting....but I have a different method.
In instances where I have SOME information but no surname or given name I use [[ ]] enclosing say their relationship to known individuals in my family file So for example I might have a marriage that shows John Doe married to Mary [[Wife of John Doe, aunt of Mary Doe]] The double brackets keep the information from printing as Legacy treats anything in between [[]]as being private . The bonus is that as new information comes to light, it can be entered and the brackets removed. It also helps me keep track of all the "unknowns" in my file and keeps me from accidentally merging( and then of course completely screwing up) unrelated persons in my family file. Since I am currently researching all four lines of my family(who all seemed to marry similar surnames..btw .some related and some not) trying to keep track of which line I am in is problematic at best....One line seems to marry into the other again...and again...and again...

Kathy

At 11:16 PM 12/12/2006, you wrote:
On 12 Dec 2006  Rob Miller wrote:

> Do you use the 7 characters for only the surname, or both names?

I'm using it for both surname and given name, snip...
Cheers, -- Dave N

*** Give the gift of Legacy for the holidays! Order online at
http://legacyfamilytree.com/Redirect/Store-Legacy.asp or call 1-800-753-3453.
***