Hi Pat,
You have two main choices.

1) Re define the sentences to suit your data input (this is what I do)
Don't use Sentence Override - that's for special cases for an individual. Click the Edit Event Sentence Definition button and do it there. Note you use codes (which are shown in a drop down list) for the various fields.

2) Choose List style for events in the Report Options.
Report Options - Format Tab -
Some report types have an Event Narrative Format button which you click and make your choice of style in the window that pops up. Others have a section on that Tab with radio buttons for your choice.

If you only want List style for some events and sentences for others, you need to change the sentence definition so that they come out as a list. You can see an example if you add a new event type and look at the Sentence Definitions for it.

Cathy