  From: malkajef
  To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
  Sent: Wednesday, December 27, 2006 12:20 PM
  Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] PDF files and Picture Center

  Thanks Dave.

  I see.  I too transcribe the census portions pertinent to my research (for
the same reasons), but I simply add that transcribed text to the "Source/Detail
Text" for that Census event.  I believe those source details should appear in
reports, though I have not yet done much work with the reports. As you note,
Census scans are far too small to be readable in reports and I therefore do not
include them as images (but keep their paper prints and save their scanned
images in a special directory that's available to future researchers).

  Thanks for the explanation.

  Incidentally, paper prints of all one's data is extremely important. The
tools to "read" many of today's computer files may no longer exist 50 years
from now rendering them useless. Think of the obsolete diskette readers, VHS
tapes, etc.  On the other hand the tool to read printed pages (our eyes) will
hopefully be here for many future generations. I consider genealogy software as
a temporary tool to organize data, not as a tool to preserve it for future
generations which may no longer even have Windows operating systems.

  Jeff