Russ,
I do not doubt your experience but bear in mind that there are various versions
of Windows XP.
Not only is there the Home and Pro versions but also the full and OEM. Mine for
example is the Home OEM.
I am aware that one version (I think it is XP Pro) has a repair option which is
not available on other versions and certainly not on OEM versions.
For all I know there may be variations from country to country as well.

On the Version I have I do not have the option to repair nor the option keep
the directory system intact.
As I would imagine most people have the OEM version it is much safer to assume
that nothing will survive a reinstallation of Windows.

Although I keep backups on my HD I also regularly back-up to CD of all
important files for extra safety.

For Genealogy, Software and Social visit:
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/fergys/
*Use Legacy Search - see My Blogs*
Includes the family tree for Alan J Grimshaw
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/fergys/Grimshaw/

> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
> Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Name of Church - should be Restoring Zipped Files
> Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 12:02:00 -0700
>
> Ron,
> This happened to me but, I have reinstalled windows with the option to keep
> the directory system intact so even though I reloaded windows my data was
> still intact in the other folders, however the documents that I had in
> MyDocuments folder was not recoverable. Once I reloaded windows and
> reinstalled the programs I was able to utilize the data that was in their
> own directory folders and not the MyDocuments folder. Just relaying what I
> found when it happened to me so. I allways keep important files in their own
> directory other than a windows system folder. I also have an external hard
> drive  and  a laptop. I backup to C: then use Windows SyncToy to syncronize
> my genealogy folder, my email, and my financial data to the external drive
> so what is on the external drive. Then I use SyncToy on my laptop to
> syncronize the laptop with the external drive. So I have at least 3 copies
> of my genealogy file incase of a major catastrophic hard drive crash.
> My external drive is 300 G and is attached to my PC and my home network and
> I have partitioned it 3 ways. D: is partitioned as the data drive that I
> sync to. E: partitioned as the System backup drive of my PC and F: is
> partitioned as the System backup of my laptop run through the network.
> Russ

*** Give the gift of Legacy for the holidays! Order online at
http://legacyfamilytree.com/Redirect/Store-Legacy.asp or call 1-800-753-3453.
***