Hi,

Just coming to this late (had a long Christmas break away from
everything) but I just wanted to point out that, in fact, EVERY county
in both Northern Ireland (which is part of the United Kingdom of Great
Britain and Northern Ireland) and Republic of Ireland (which is not)
uses the County Prefix, e.g., I live in County Sligo, in the Republic
of Ireland, many of my ancestors came from County Fermanagh in (what
is now) Northern Ireland.  In speech, the Co. prefix is not
universally used, but almost always used in more formal speech or
writing.  In the whole island of Ireland there are only 32 counties, 6
in N. I. and 26 in Rep. of I.

Of course, there is always an exception (Ireland is full of
contradictions and exceptions!).  When using an address in a town/city
of the same name as the county, the county name is not generally
quoted.  Let me give an example ot illustrate:

I was born in Sligo town, which is in County Sligo, and my address
there was always quoted as, "[...] Road, Sligo" (note that the County
is not mentioned here, but is a given).

I now live in a small town in County Sligo, and my current address is,
"[...], Ballymote, Co. Sligo".

Hope this clarifies things for somebody.

Regards,

Bliain Nua faoi mhaise dhaoibh (Happy New year in Irish)

Dermot.

On 27/12/06, Alastair Lack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>
There's the odd Irish exception to the County as well - e.g. County Down.
</snip>


*** Give the gift of Legacy for the holidays! Order online at 
http://legacyfamilytree.com/Redirect/Store-Legacy.asp or call 1-800-753-3453. 
***

Legacy User Group guidelines can be found at: 
http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Etiquette.asp

To find past messages, please go to our searchable archives at: 
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/

For online technical support, please visit 
http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Help.asp

To unsubscribe please visit: http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/LegacyLists.asp


Reply via email to