Back on the topic of organizing files--

I heartily agree with those who view making multiple copies of material
wasteful, time-consuming, space-consuming, and prone to errors.

For what it's worth I am defining "material" here as any hard copy item
be it photograph, letter, newspaper, recorded tape, map, form, etc.

Legacy provides an excellent filing tool, the File ID.  If used properly
it can be as useful as the Dewey Decimal or Library of Congress filing
system at any public library.

The only shortcoming with the Legacy File ID process is its failure to
provide a File ID report sorted alphabetically by name.  The only File
ID report at this time is sorted sequentially by File ID number.  This
has been addressed with the Legacy design staff and an alphabetical name
sort will hopefully appear soon in future updates.

To quickly summarize my 30+ years of genealogy and professional file
system management--categorize your filing material, assign a File ID
number to each material item, note all who the material pertains to, and
record the File ID(s) in their genealogical record.

No multiple copies, no complex numbering system.  A simple cataloging
system from which material can easily be filed and retrieved.

Gary
Near St Louis MO USA

*** Give the gift of Legacy for the holidays! Order online at
http://legacyfamilytree.com/Redirect/Store-Legacy.asp or call 1-800-753-3453.
***

  • Re: [LegacyUG]... Bob
    • RE: [Lega... Olds-Wills-Anderson-Simonson-Hodges-Harris-Liikala-Jukkara-
      • RE: [... Cary
      • [Lega... Olds-will-anderson-simonson
        • R... ronald ferguson
          • ... Heather Stovold
          • ... Olds-Wills-Anderson-Simonson Hodges-Harris-Liikala-Jukkara
          • ... Olds-Wills-Anderson-Simonson Hodges-Harris-Liikala-Jukkara
            • ... gurung m
              • ... Chris Coward
              • ... Sherry/Support
            • ... Laurence E Stephenson