I am usually a 'lurker' on this mailing list.  Oh, how nice it is to have
good manners and such positive feedback . . . yes, civility i n 2007 as each
of us has a different degree of expertise, learning styles and abilities.

That said . . .

I would like to caution those folks new to Legacy to follow the
instructions:)  That is not my learning style, and so, many times I have to
re-do hours of work.  In this case, it was a year's work to correct my
errors in the Location Fields. Thankfully I went to one of Geoff
Rassmussen's classes at the National Genealogical Society's annual
conferences.  Geoff was patient, kind and is a great teacher. I was still
working on correcting my locations at the conference the next year!

The location field means just that - a location, a place on the map! I had
used it to put in whatever comments I wished to make.  I had no )idea that
as I progressed on from 2,300 individuals to 15,000+ I would need to use
that space for . . . yes, locations!

Now, I use a location field for:
City, County, State, Country

If one of those items is missing, I keep the place with a comma, so that it
will 'read' correctly when doing reports in the future.

Example:
Columbus, Franklin, Ohio, United States
Columbus, , Ohio, United States (town and state known, county unknown - need
to look up later)
, Franklin, Ohio, United States (town unknown, or no town, only a location
within the county

This is a great place to 'lurk', ask questions, or add positive comments!

Cynthia N. Russell
in Northern Michigan where it is 50 degrees . . . no snow!