Hi Gene,
I can't reproduce either of these.

I normally have Options > Customise - Data Format Tab
Letter Case of Given Names and Locations
set to
Don't change what I enter
rather than set to
Initial caps

However I changed it to try.

I entered two given names all lower case and tabbing they both switched to Initial caps. Works for three given names as well.

I've not seen the location behaviour you speak of - have you checked what is in your Master Location list for locations beginning with the letters you entered before it "stuttered"? Perhaps you have an incomplete location entered?

Cheers,
Cathy