Good answer Cathy. I've wondered for a while if it would be possible and/or useful (certainly it would be for me) if a dictionary of words/terms could be provided by experts in Legacy. The whole scenario of Master Sources, source citations, text, comments etc etc can be bewildering for one new to the Legacy database concept. If it was maintained in a spreadsheet it could be added to from time to time by individual users. Certainly the Help files are there and most useful too, but they often do not declare the purpose of what they are about, just the how to do it.

That's my 2 bob's worth
Tom

----- Original Message ----- From: "Cathy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 12:23 PM
Subject: RE: [LegacyUG] Source Template

Hi Elizabeth,

It does take a while to get your mind around the difference between Master Source and Source Detail

You can have one Master Source for your Cemetery (to use your example).

When you attach it to events for each person, you add their details in the Source Detail. The Source Detail only applies to that one use of the Master Source. (If you attached it to Death and Burial as information about both was in the cemetery source you could have different detail for each event. However this isn't advised due to the way Sources print in Reports. If the source detail is different by as much as a space, it will print again. If the source detail is identical, then the one Source Reference number is used, and it prints once. I keep the Source detail identical for the individual even if I attach that Source to Name, Birth, Death, Burial.)

Move to the next individual and put their information in the Source Detail. Same Master Source. Different Source Detail.

Re wanting a Chronological view of all your information - have you discovered the Chronology Tab? You don't have to enter all this information again in the Research Notes. Legacy gives you a Chronological look at events in a person's life. The births and deaths of children and parents show on this tab. You can control what shows by clicking the Options button. This is a Deluxe feature. If you don't have Deluxe, seeing Chronology is so important to you, it would be worth upgrading just for this.

If you want it available while working elsewhere in the program - just print a chronology report to pdf and have that open in your PDF reader - usually Adobe Reader but there are others.

Cathy