Hi Jon,
You've brought up a slightly different take on one of the known bugs in the Relationship Calculator that is logged in the bug tracker.

Why not submit your take as a Bug. Brian is pretty good at picking up issues, but they are definitely picked up when submitted as a Bug.
See the Legacy Home tab for the link.

A fix? Well it's been logged for a long time along with some other Relationship Calculator issues. We've had a lot of fixes but not these.

Cathy