"Placed for adoption" sounds better to me.  I am an adoptive mother; the
adoption community does not like "given up" and would probably not like
either "placed for adoption" or "adopted out."  The preferred wording is
very cumbersome, something like "made an adoption plan for the child," and I
don't know of any adjective or noun that would encompass that.

Sara Binkley Tarpley