-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of ronald
ferguson
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 2:07 PM
To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
Subject: RE: [LegacyUG] RE: [Legacy UG] Moving Family List

Jim,

I now understand your original question and yes, i can also see what you
intend doing. It will as you say mean adding all the descendants to each of
the four trees to have a complete tree for each of your grandparents,
including, of course, adding to each yourself and your parents.

So in a nut shell that would work. However, to come to your question as to
whether four will be enough I cannot really answer, the reason being that I
cannot understand why you would wish to arrange your files in this manner in

the first place.

If all the files were together then Legacy's tagging capability allows one
to tag each of the four lines separately anyhow, so it is possible to print
separate reports, web pages etc. without physically separating each of the
trees. Hence my problem!

For Genealogy, Software and Social visit:
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/fergys/
*Use Legacy Search - see My Blogs*
Includes the family tree for Alan J Grimshaw
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/fergys/Grimshaw/

>From: James Neely <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: Legacy List <LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com>
>Subject: [LegacyUG] RE: [Legacy UG] Moving Family List
>Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 14:11:10 -0600
>
>Ron and Jan
>    Thanks for your responses.  As a very new dabbler in genealogy and even

>newer w/ Legacy, I have decided to do it an easier way.    My data base
>currently contains 166 names (very puny, I know).  I have it in a single
>file named JAMES.  I am wanting to start different files as I add more
>entries.  I assumed it would be adequate to just make 4, using my
>grandparents' names.  To do this, I just saved the entire list (from JAMES)

>into these 4 (A, B, C, D), and deleted unwanted names. (Not very smart, but

>at my level I could do it.)  At some point I will need to attack my
>original question, but at present I have other matters to consider.
>    If you don't mind, I would like to get some thoughts from you, and/or
>anyone else who would care to comment:
>    - As I don't really expect to make this a life's work, are 4 files
>enough?
>    - I used the respective GP in each file as the starting point, and then

>chased the path up that line.  Going in the other direction I plan to
>include all descendants, which would be duplicative for all files.  I
>envisioned that as necessary so that there would be a true accounting of
>descendants.  Does that make sense?
>    As you can see, I am really stepping in over my head, but I think I can

>"dog-paddle" through it.  However, I would prefer to not make any more
>mistakes than I have to.    Thanking all who care to comment in advance.
>Jim Neely, Tullahoma

Have you unlocked the real power of Legacy? Legacy 6.0 Deluxe has 92
features not found in the Standard Edition. Learn more about these features
at http://legacyfamilytree.com/DeluxeEdition.asp.